Pumpkin Goop - A Natural Sensory Kids Activity for Fall

Use real pumpkin for fall sensory play with this new recipe - Pumpkin Goop!

Pumpkin Goop  - A Natural Sensory Kids Activity for Fall   #play #sensory #preschool #fall








I love seasonal crafts and play activities with my kids. I think these activities are especially meaningful to toddlers and preschoolers who have a need lots of hands on activities, but my lower elementary school age kids loved this too!







By doing seasonal crafts you are starting to give them an understanding of seasons and calendar time. Plus, let’s face it, it’s just plain fun! Here is our Pumpkin Sensory Play with Goop!













How to Make Pumpkin Goop


cooking the pumpkin to make pumpkin goop



As you probably already know, I’m thrifty.

I like to reuse things for several purposes. So I just hated wasting the inner “guts” of the pumpkins we carved.



We use some of the seeds to make our Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds (yum!), but this year I took all the goop and some of the seeds to make pumpkin goop to play with my toddler.



I put all the the stringy stuff, pumpkin, and seeds into a big stock pot. Then I sprinkled it with about 1/4 cup cornstarch (to thicken it up) and let it cook into mush over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Then I smashed it up with a mashed potato smasher until it was mostly smooth and then I took it off the heat to allow it to cool before the kid played with it.






Pumpkin Goop Sensory Play


it has such a fun texture



When the Pumpkin Goop was just slightly warm to the touch I scooped it back into a pumpkin for

some warm sensory play!




we played with it slightly warm  it was a huge hit with toddler, kindergarten, and 2nd grader



My toddler, preschooler and 2nd grader all found it equally fun and silly to play with!






Play Hide & Seek with the Spider in the Pumpkin Goop


Hide and seek pumpkin goop



At the beginning, my toddler wasn't thrilled about getting her hands dirty. (not a problem at dinner time!) So to help entice her to try it – I put a spider in in the Pumpkin Goop and “hide it”. Tinker bell loved finding the spider!



pumpkin play for toddlers


 



Christmas is Coming Soon!



Christmas Crafts for Kids book coverChristmas is just around the corner! Come take a peak at some of our most popular Christmas posts to date!
























<
Unknown
Unknown

Beth Gorden is a homeschooling mother of six who strives to enjoy every moment with her kids through hands-on learning, crafts, new experiences, and lots of playing together. Beth is also the creator and author of 123 Homeschool 4 Me where she shares 1000+ free printables, creative homeschool lessons, crafts, and other fun ideas to help preschool and homeschooling families have fun while learning and exploring together.